At the Hawksmoor Guest House we love you being able to make the most of your stay so below you will find link with ideas of things to do in the Lake District, as well as links to popular Lake District events' websites.
Hayes Garden World (Ambleside)
Anyone who's watched this vast garden centre grow over the years will know how good it has become. It's certainly one of the largest and best cared for in England - probably due to the personal service offered by the Hayes family. As they say, Hayes Garden World really is sheer inspiration. A Top Attraction!
- Monday - Saturday 09.00-18.00, Sunday 11.00-17.00 Closed 25 December, New Years Day and Easter Sunday.
- Hayes Garden World, Lake Road, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 0DW
- Head towards Ambleside on the A5911. Bear right at the lights and the centre is 500 yards on the left.
- 015394 3343
Heaton Cooper Studio (Grasmere)
This gallery is a real favourite of mine. I've called in many times over the years because my father was (among many other things) a stained glass and watercolour artist, and I'm still impressed by the essence of the Lakes captured in the Heaton Coopers' work. It's certainly a family affair, for the studio features a hanging exhibition of paintings, prints and sculpture from four generations of the Heaton Cooper family, from Alfred Heaton Cooper (1863-1929) and William Heaton Cooper (1903-1995), to present day members. There are some superb prints to buy. And it's one of the most comprehensive sources of artists' materials I've seen. Look out for the beautiful hand-made paper.
Hill Top (Near Sawrey)
Beatrix Potter wrote many of her children's stories in this small 17th century farmhouse. It's been kept exactly as she left it, complete with her furniture, china and a traditional cottage garden.
- 1 April - 29 Oct House: Sat - Weds 10.30-16.00 (3 - 31 Aug Sat - Thurs). Garden and shop daily.
- 2 miles south of Hawkshead, in Near Sawrey, or 2 miles from the Bowness car ferry (that’s the ferry that takes you across the breadth of Windermere, just south of Bowness).
- 015394 36269
K Village Outlet Centre (Kendal)
The usual factory shopping complex, with the 2nd largest Clarks Factory Shop in Europe, alongside other famous brands offering discounts of up to 60% off RRP. There's a Riverside Cafe, the K Shoe Heritage Centre and free parking.
- Monday - Saturday 09.30-18.00, Sunday 11.00-17.00
- K Village Outlet, 20 Stricklandgate, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 4ND
- J36 M6 motorway, follow signs for Kendal and then K Village. Situated on the south side of Kendal on A65, the Kendal to Kirkby Lonsdale road. Local buses 41 and 41A.
- 01539 73236
Kendal Leisure Centre
Facilities include swimming, squash, a sports hall, the fitzone gym, a café bar, children's holiday activities, swimming lessons, and an event venue for classical and light entertainment concerts. (There's also a leisure centre at Ulverston. See website for full details or call 01229 584110.)